Tuesday, November 3, 2009

ROCKING AWAY IN JAMROCK


The Harder They Come, a film by the legendary director and Jamaican Icon Perry Henzell.

Greetings!

Today I had an epiphany..I am a bonafide, unapologetic entrepreneur.

I spent the day compiling pictures of my life as a fashion designer and realized I still had it in me... that passion for fashion is lurking, ready to rear it's glamorous head. I thought I had killed it, stomped it out with beautiful locations, a life on the road with my great film crews going from one magnificent spot to another. In Jamaica even the ghettos are beautiful, most directors love the visuals of distressed shacks, graffiti painted walls, mangy dogs and loud colourful people. It is a directors dream to shoot in these garrisons (Political strongholds) and many nights we are on some side street in downtown Kingston, like Mathews lane, drinking white rum with the Dons (Area leaders). A Don called Zeeks who is now in prison was a friend to film as he guaranteed our safety for a price...oops.. Location fee.

This is very interesting stuff..so read on.

Once we had a German director come to shoot a movie and when he saw the ghettos in Kingston he flipped out and said these were the most beautiful locations he had ever seen. Well, if you have ever been to some parts of Germany, with drab, grey, square buildings with NO colour, then I you can understand his delight. He was taken by our location scouts to an area called Craig Town, one of the most dangerous areas in the city. That day it was full of mountains of garbage and dead animals..absolutely gross. He loved it. Perfect he said.

On the day of filming at that location the people in the area were so happy that we were coming that they cleaned up ALL the garbage and dead dogs. The poor director was distraught when he saw the place all cleaned up for him, the people got all dressed up in their finest Sunday best outfits, hats and all. Well art department went to work....we had to order truckloads of garbage and find dead animals to scatter on the streets and wardrobe had the task of telling the stylish mob to go back home and put on their yard clothes. This was greeted by the biggest chupsies (kissing of teeth) you have ever heard.They were VEX to say the least. Eventually the angry mob conceded and returned in their grungy T shirts, rollers in their hair, slippers and head ties. They were still vex, but the screw face (scowls) actually added to the look. We had a great day and the director was a happy man.

So, I am excited about dusting off my black outfits and reemerging from the ashes.

I created a line of T Shirts called Rock Steady in honour of old school Jamaican musicians and our amazing vintage music, rock steady, ska, and dub. Reggae came much later, this was the original Jamaican music and I will soon turn you onto my favorites.

Meanwhile,

Check out my T Shirt line and designs on Facebook. Become a fan of The Rock Steady T Shirt Collection or go to Rocksteady/Facebook for the coolest T shirt designs and view myPortfolio.

See pictures of the many different film projects I have worked on, and our great Jamaican style.

Veiw my profile @ Rocksteady/Facebook.

And how was your day?

BLESS UP, ONE LOVE & WALK GOOD

4 comments:

  1. Michelle,

    This is a fascinating article. I am sure that it will have excellent international appeal.
    I am delighted that we have re-connected through our "online" world :)
    Keep up the great work!

    Melanie Phillibert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving your blog, you mad Jamaican woman, and I will never, ever forget our Thelma and Louise roadtrip round the island to find my roots. I need to come back with my kids and do it again (crayon on the walls! Oh yes!!)
    Great blog, I'm going to link it to mine (but shh! I'm anonymous online, only you know who I am ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you both for the kind words and encouragment. I am officially a blogger. This gives me a platfrom to tell my many stories of my life in Jamaica. I have a good friend who wrote every day in a diary and I laways found this facinating. I have been inspired by you both and I give thanks. Rock on.
    Blessings, One Love and Walk Good

    ReplyDelete